1. DON’T BITE OFF MORE THAN YOU CAN CHEW
Re-introducing foods steadily rather than trying to switch back to your pre-denture diet may help your mouth get used to the various challenges different foods now present. It also means you won’t end up putting yourself off your favourite meal or snack forever by unsuccessfully trying it before you’re ready. In other words, don’t bite off more than you can chew!
2. USE A DENTURE fixative
New Polident Denture Fixative Cream features a precision nozzle with a finer tip, which leads to thinner, more precise application. This helps form a superior seal around your whole denture and helps block out irritating food particles4. It also provides a firm all hour hold*1,2 to reduce the risk of your dentures slipping out of place while you eat. This improved retention and stability can also help increase bite force by upto 38%3.
3. TAKE CARE OF THE LITTLE THINGS
A common issue you may experience when eating with a partial denture, or a full one, is food particles becoming trapped between your denture and the underlying gum. This may often lead to irritation and discomfort. A denture fixative may help here by forming a seal between your denture and your gum4.
4. STAY POSITIVE
Although it may not feel like it at the time, most problems that denture wearers experience with eating tend to be both fixable and far from permanent. Doing your best to focus on what you can eat with dentures, rather than what you can’t will help keep you in a positive frame of mind as you adjust to your new life.
5. DON’T BE TOO HARD ON YOURSELF
While you may need to avoid trying to return to your normal diet too quickly when first getting used to dentures, or if you experience other common problems like soreness and denture slippage, try not to let all pleasure disappear from food. Some social situations that involve eating, like going to a restaurant, family celebrations or watching a film, can be good opportunities to treat yourself to some of your favourite foods in an enjoyable setting.
Whatever challenges eating with dentures presents for you, rest assured you’re not alone. There are solutions available to help make them as short-lived as possible – from temporarily adjusting your diet to using an effective denture fixative like new Polident Denture Fixative Cream that creates a superior seal and helps to block out irritating food particles4. Indeed, by taking the right steps for you, you may soon find that eating becomes one of life’s little pleasures all over again.
* 12 hours is considered equivalent to all day
1. Norman, R.D., ‘Evaluation of the retentive properties of a Gantrez cream adhesive (formula 097-792), Gantrez cream pump adhesive formula (097-951) and current Super Poligrip’, GSK study 143(1988).
2. Norman, R.D., ‘Efficacy study of a denture adhesive to reduce denture dislodgement while eating corn on the cob or apples’, GSK study 406(1990).
3. Munoz et. al, Journal of Prosthodontics (2012), 21(2), pp. 123-129
4. Psikallis et. al, Journal of Prosthodontics (2004), 13(4), pp. 240-250